DESCRIPTION OF THE ASSOCIATION
Youth Against Irregular Migration (YAIM) is a grassroots youth organization that:
- creates awareness on the causes, risks and effects of irregular migration through means such as drama, music, radio, sports, talk shows, community and school gatherings, etc.;
- provides reliable and correct information on irregular migration as well as collects relevant information from various stakeholders and spreads it to the public;
- sensitizes the public on the alternatives to irregular migration and the ways to contribute to national development;
- contributes to the reintegration of returnees by providing them with psycho-social support and constituting a safe space for their personal and collective development;
- engages in networking with national and international stakeholders involved in migration, youth empowerment and development.
What is achieved beyond is achieved within.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
Youth Against Irregular Migration (YAIM) works towards the following aims and objectives:
- to minimize (youth) involvement in irregular migration from The Gambia;
- to challenge the mindset of considering migration as the only viable way to fulfillment;
- to build the capacity, self-confidence and self-reliance of Gambian youths and returnees;
- to advocate for safe, regular and accessible migration opportunities;
- to participate in and inform decision-making at various levels;
- to advance and achieve youth empowerment and youth representation;
- to advocate for sustainable agriculture and encourage greater youth involvement in this sector;
- to promote gender equality and women empowerment and representation.